Enhancing Your Home’s Security Beyond Locks and Keys
Being comfortable in your home is more than aesthetics – it’s also being safe and secure. In order to create a safe sanctuary, one needs to invest in their homes security and that goes beyond a simple lock and key. There are several important aspects of home security that everyone should consider.
Here are some essential features to keep in mind while deciding how to secure your home properly:
- BHMA Certified® locks and deadbolts have been tested in three areas: Security, Durability, and Finish. The BHMA rating consists of a grade for each of these categories: C is good, B is better, and A is the best.
- Smart locks offer convenience and control of access. They can be integrated with a home security system and make it easy to control unauthorized copies of “keys”.
- A deadbolt lock adds an extra layer of security.
- Would-be intruders often use brute force such as forcing open a door. Installation of a lock per the manufacturer’s recommendations and reinforced construction of the door and frame can deter these attempts.
While locks are a vital part of a security strategy, they should not be a stand-alone one. In order to keep your home secured properly, locks should be complemented with caution, situational awareness, and common sense.
- For enhanced security and risk reduction, consult a qualified locksmith or security professional. They can assess your specific needs and provide tailored solutions.
- Adequate lighting around your property deters potential intruders. Consider motion-activated lights for entrances and pathways.
- Keep plants trimmed near windows and doors to eliminate potential hiding spots for possible intruders.
- Many break-ins happen through unlocked doors and windows. Always secure your entry points and don’t position your lock next to a window.
By selecting the right lock and implementing additional security measures you can enjoy peace of mind and enjoy a comfy, cozy, secure home.